In the last 100 years concrete has had a greater impact on our surroundings and indirectly on our way of life than any other material. This historical overview of the structural use of concrete will provide a valuable source of information for those dealing with this legacy.
Britain has a vast number of concrete structures of varying ages. While these often need to be appraised, repaired or altered, the opacity of concrete as a material presents unique problems with the assessment of the existing structure. It may be difficult to determine whether the concrete in question is mass concrete, reinforced or prestressed or perhaps not structural at all, but only masking a steel frame. As the best starting point for appraisal is some knowledge of what is likely to be found at different dates and with different types of structure, this book will provide vital information for engineers who find themselves facing these challenges.
Historic concrete deals predominantly with concrete in Britain, but makes reference to discoveries and works in other countries where these have influenced practice in Britain. It examines the history of reinforced and prestressed concrete and also includes chapters covering military applications of concrete and its use in tunnels, roads and pavements, water-retaining structures and dams.
With an extensive list of references as well as an appendix with proprietary reinforcement systems, this book will be useful for all structural engineers and will also interest architects, surveyors, historians of construction and general readers.
• Understanding historical concrete
• Innovative uses of concrete by engineers and architects
• Concrete and the structural use of cements in England before 1980
• The era of the proprietary reinforcing systems, the development of reinforced concrete design theory and practice
• Cement and concrete as materials: changes in properties, production and performance
• Concrete foundations and substructures: a historical review
• The early development of reinforced concrete shells
• Concrete shell roofs 1945-1965
• The development of concrete bridges in the British Isles prior to 1940
• Reinforced and prestressed concrete in maritime structures
• The Concrete Institute 1908-1923
• Water-retaining structures
• Roads and Runways and Military uses